Movie Moments: Classic Movies, Classic Movie Scenes, Classic Movie Quotes, Classic Movie Images.
Welcome to Movie Moments, a site dedicated to movies, old and new. We take a look back at some of our favourite movie scenes and favourite quotes from great movies. It's not just about superb dialogue, although many of the scenes here are built on the finest words ever to enter a screenplay. It is also about what these scenes envisage, the setting, the time, the one choice phrase that defines a moment in film history. Each week we also review a top movie book. We have a huge range of movie posters for sale and we have FREE classic movie wallpapers for you to download to your your computer. Please contact us with any questions you have, or just to say hello.




Shawshank Redemption

Surely one of THE all time classic movies: Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison for the murders of his wife and her lover in the late 1940s. However, only Andy knows that he didn't commit the crimes. Sent to Shawshank Prison to do hard time, Andy--a taciturn banker in the outside world--has to learn to get by in the brutal, cutthroat confines of prison life. His quiet strength slowly earns the respect of his fellow inmates--most notably, Red (Morgan Freeman)--and even much of the prison staff. But Andy's seemingly stoic acceptance of his unjust imprisonment hides a fierce determination for freedom. This beautifully crafted movie features touching and sincere performances from the entire cast, with an uplifting message about humanity's indomitable spirit and the redemptive value of hope.
In this scene the two men discuss what they would do if they ever left Shawshank Prison.

Movie Moments - Shawshank Redemption

Click here for "Shawshank Redemption" DVDs, Soundtracks and Books

EXT -- PRISON YARD -- DAY (1966)

Red finds Andy sitting in the shadow of the high stone wall, poking listlessly through the dust for small pebbles. Red waits for some acknowledgment. Andy doesn't even look up. Red hunkers down and joins him. Nothing is said for the longest time. And then, softly:

ANDY
My wife used to say I'm a hard man to know. Like a closed book. Complained about it all the time.
pause)
She was beautiful. I loved her. But I guess I couldn't show it enough. (softly)I killed her, Red.

Andy finally glances to Red, seeking a reaction. Silence.

ANDY
I didn't pull the trigger. But I drove her away. That's why she died. Because of me, the way I am.

RED
That don't make you a murderer. Bad husband, maybe.

Andy smiles faintly in spite of himself. Red gives his shoulder a squeeze.

RED
Feel bad about it if you want. But you didn't pull the trigger.

ANDY
No. I didn't. Someone else did, and I wound up here. Bad luck, I guess.

RED
Bad luck? Jesus.

ANDY
It floats around. Has to land on somebody. Say a storm comes through. Some folks sit in their living rooms and enjoy the rain. The house next door gets torn out of the ground and smashed flat. It was my turn, that's all. I was in the path of the tornado.
(softly)
I just had no idea the storm would go on as long as it has.
(glances to him)
Think you'll ever get out of here?

RED
Sure. When I got a long white beard and about three marbles left rolling around upstairs.

ANDY
Tell you where I'd go. Zihuatanejo.

RED
Zihuatanejo?

ANDY
Mexico. Little place right on the Pacific. You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific? They say it has no memory. That's where I'd like to finish out my life, Red. A warm place with no memory. Open a little hotel right on the beach. Buy some worthless old boat and fix it up like new. Take my guests out charter fishing.
(beat)
You know, a place like that, I'd need a man who can get things.

Red stares at Andy, laughs.

RED
Jesus, Andy. I couldn't hack it on the outside. Been in here too long. I'm an institutional man now. Like old Brooks Hatlen was.

ANDY
You underestimate yourself.

RED
Bullshit. In here I'm the guy who can get it for you. Out there, all you need are Yellow Pages. I wouldn't know where to begin.
(derisive snort)
Pacific Ocean? Hell. Like to scare me to death, somethin' that big.

ANDY
Not me. I didn't shoot my wife and I didn't shoot her lover, and whatever mistakes I made I've paid for and then some. That hotel and that boat...I don't think it's too much to want. To look at the stars just after sunset. Touch the sand. Wade in the water. Feel free.

RED
Goddamn it, Andy, stop! Don't do that to yourself! Talking shitty pipedreams! Mexico's down there, and you're in here, and that's the way it is!

ANDY
You're right. It's down there, and I'm in here. I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home